Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Getting Settled in China

Hi,  I hope all is well state side.  We've been in China for three weeks now, which I just can't believe. Time is flying by.  I think the first two weeks were spent mostly just getting adjusted to the time change, which actually wasn't too terrible, but I'm not looking forward to the change back, which I imagine being much worse.  We have gotten settled in very nicely thanks to our who have graciously opened their home to us.  They have shown us around Beijing a bit and been very helpful with translating and getting around.  We haven't done a ton of touristy type things yet, but plan to go out to the Great Wall soon when it gets a bit warmer. 

I landed a job at a good salon here. It's owned by a French woman and is very international although i will be the only American working there. Everyone speaks english there as well, so I can take my time learning Chinese. Thank goodness, I am quite intimidated by the Chinese language, but there is a language school in the same building as the salon so hopefully I will have time to utilize that. The salon is also right across the street from a huge international school, so the potential for business is great.  I am waiting for my work visa to go through but I should start working in the next week or so. I'm super excited about this opportunity!  I've been in to the salon a few times and everyone seems pretty cool, and the atmosphere is nice. Sort of sophisticated with a bit of an edge.  I feel like I will fit in ok. 

We have spent the last week and a half trying to gather supplies to start brewing beer here in the apartment.  While that's not the ideal set up it's what we have to work with right now, and there really is plenty of room for it to work.  He has had to get started a bit earlier than expected so we can be a part of a beer festival this summer.  It's in the local art district and is an excellent opportunity for exposure.  He is a bit nervous about having to have good beer ready so soon after getting here, but we are all really excited about being a part of this festival.  The man in charge of it is very easy to work with (which is unusual for Chinese businessmen) and if things go well with the festival we will be provided a space for brewing. So, the pressures on but it's very exciting!

We are having a great time here, I miss you all a lot would love to hear how spring is starting out for you. 

Oh, and Happy St. Patty's Day.    I thought about making something Irishly delicious, but decided to be lazy instead :)

I love you all!
-CJB

No comments:

Post a Comment