Tuesday, November 10, 2009

DAF Class

Ignore the date above. Correct date: October 5, 2009.

Tonight, Cindy and I went to our first Deutsche als Fremdsprache (German as a foreign language) course. The teaching methods and approaches in DAF are similar to ESL/ EFL instruction (perhaps even based on ESL, but I need to verify that). It was interesting being on the “other side of it all” after years of ESL teaching experience. I saw so many of my past students in myself, Cindy, and my classmates tonight. The class is way too easy for me, but I still enjoyed it. It seems a tad bit too difficult for Cindy (at the risk of speaking for her), but in the long run, it will be a better learning experience since it is immersion based instruction....fluency will come quicker to her than if she were in a traditional English based instruction German course. The teacher told me (in front of the whole class, which I found odd) that the class was too easy for me, but that I was welcome to stay because she doesn’t know of other courses in the area, except Nuremberg which really isn’t that convenient.
-B

No comments:

Post a Comment